The Forest Ark is a unique building, a small eco-lodge providing comfortable guest accommodation, tucked away just 200 metres from the Oak House. This building is best described as growing out of the wood and you can see much of the woods influence in the bespoke finishes inside. It is completely zero-carbon: heating and hot water from solar panels and a state of the art high-efficiency wood-fired boiler, using logs from the wood. You can also cook on a wood-fired range. Electricity is provided by photo-voltaic panels and a back-up generator. The building is fully off-grid, using rainwater harvested from the roof, suitable for washing, and drinking water provided in containers. It is low-impact, with minimal use of concrete, work done by local labour and timber almost entirely from Hazel Hill Wood. Read on about the story of the Forest Ark, written by Alan Heeks.
- Sleeping capacity max. 6 adults.
- Two ground floor bedrooms, one double and one king size which has a wheelchair accessible en suite bathroom, with composting toilet and shower over bath.
- A second shower room, with composting toilet.
- Open-plan living area including a kitchen with large fridge, two futon sofas, table and six chairs.
- The living area can sleep 2 adults, on either two singles or one double sofa bed.
- Floor to ceiling windows open out onto a wrap-around covered veranda with a BBQ for alfresco dining.