The Forest Ark is a unique building, a small eco-lodge providing comfortable accommodation, tucked away just 200 metres from the Oak House. This building is best described as growing out of the wood and you can see much of the wood’s influence in the bespoke finishes inside. It is completely zero-carbon: heating and hot water from solar panels and a state of the art high-efficiency wood-fired boiler, using logs from the wood. You can also cook on a wood-fired range. Electricity is provided by photo-voltaic panels and a back-up generator. The building is fully off-grid, using rainwater harvested from the roof, suitable for washing, and drinking water is provided in containers. It is low-impact, with minimal use of concrete, work done by local labour and timber almost entirely from Hazel Hill Wood. Read on about the story of the Forest Ark, written by Alan Heeks. Download our user guides below:
- Sleeping capacity max. 6 adults.
- Two ground floor bedrooms, one double and one king size which has a wheelchair accessible en suite bathroom, with a composting toilet and shower over bath.
- A second shower room, with composting toilet.
- Open-plan kitchen/living area including a large fridge, two-ring gas hob, table, six chairs and double sofa bed.
- The wood burning Esse stove in the living room provides heat and hot water when lit, please note there is no fire guard, so take extra care.
- Floor to ceiling windows open out onto a wrap-around covered decking area looking into the woodland, please note there are no railings/bannister around this decking, so take extra care.